THE ROMANTIC OFFICE SAGA: PART 24


THE ROMANTIC OFFICE SAGA: PART 24

As we settled in the office, Irene got busy cleaning my office and arranging it. She was so meticulous about it and all along she was singing softly some lyrics from a song I did not know. I could not fail to notice her top was too tight and that made her bosom seem outstanding leaving nothing to guess about their shape. Her cleavage was also so low almost half of her breasts were exposed to the environment. And she wore a gold necklace which had a star resting in between her cleavage which at the middle was a blue diamond shaped emerald object. As I took time to study at it trying to figure out how much it would have cost, she straightened herself, adjusted her boobs with her hands while looking at me from the side of her eyes.
“You have a nice necklace.” I told Irene.
“Did you just see the necklace or you were also looking at something else too?” Irene asked before letting out a soft laugh while adjusting her hair which had fallen on her eyes.
After Irene finished cleaning the office, she took her handbag, took out some biscuits and gave some to me. I took them and placed them on the table. Just as I began unpacking some to eat, she swiftly took one of them and aimed at my mouth to feed me. I appreciated the gesture too.
=========
At 10 am, our boss came to my office. She had travelled within short notice to Rwanda apparently to seal some deals for the company. She told me to create some posters and send them to her via email that she will use for some presentations that she was to have the following week with some technocrats. My boss seemed in a rather jovial mood and extra friendly that day. The fact that she wore a very tight mini skirt that revealed the contours of her hips made her look like a teenager who had just realized she is shapely. 
“Lo! Our boss look like sweet 16 today.” Irene commented. 
“True, but I think she has rather overdid her style today. She seemed like she has a date in the evening after work.” I said.
“Haha, nowadays people don’t grow old. In fact, these old mamas want young men like you who have the energy to drill the honey in them.” Irene said, and the statement startled me since I have never heard Irene use it.
“Hell no! Why would I skip young ladies like you and go for an old worn out woman like her?” I asked as a matter of fact.
“Some women don’t grow old, old is gold and come with experience.” Irene continued jokingly. She added, “But I would rather go with a young handsome man like you than with an old worn out man.” Irene added while looking at me straight in the eyes as if gauging my reaction. She run her tongue the breadth of her lips before smiling to reveal her white teeth. I smiled back, did I have a choice anyway?
Sally knocked at my door, came in with a thermos flask of hot chocolate. She was also carrying a few cups and some cookies. She took out some cups and began pouring the drinks to them before Irene interrupted, “Let me assist you please”. Irene took over, served all of us the drinks including Sally who sat with us as we drank the chocolate. 
“hmm, it is so sweet. How did you prepare it?” Irene asked Sally.
“I added some tea masala in it. It is a spice that makes hot drinks sweeter.” Sally answered.
“I should buy some for myself…no wonder Tony here never gets enough of it” Irene said before looking at Sally for some time before settling her eyes on me.
After we finished drinking the chocolate, Sally took the cups and the flask away.
=============
“Hmm, I can see Sally really takes care of you. She has been extra nice to you of late.” Irene was talking in some inquisitive tone, as if she was just confirming what she knows.
“It is just some nice inter colleague relationship, you know we have to be nice towards each other in order to work together well.” I told Irene hoping she would stop steering that discussion towards the direction she seemed so eager to take. But she pressed on.
“Do you want to tell me there is nothing special between you and Sally?” For some time, I did not know whether to lie to her or to tell her the truth, knowing too well if she got to know and hear it from me, perhaps it will end up being the talk of the office for the days to come since Irene isn’t the type to keep a secret.
“Just tell me, I promise to keep it between me and you.” Irene pressed on.
“True. Sally is my lover”. I told Irene with a finality from my voice I did not believe I just said that. Awkward silence followed between us. Irene gaze seemed to have been transfixed towards one direction looking at nothing in particular. Her face remained expressionless, emotionless and I wished I would know what was going on in her mind. But whatever it was, I guessed the news that am in a relationship with Sally did not sink too well with her. I could not really see into her eyes, but I continued to look at her intently wishing she would break the silence. She fidgeted on her seat severally, as if unsure whether to stand up or to continue sitting.
“What is it Irene, why the sudden silence?” I broke the silence with hesitation, not sure whether that was the right thing to do.
“Ah! No, I …..” Irene stopped talking mid-sentence, and continued to remain silent. After what seemed like forever, she turned, faced me and looked at me for some time before saying, “ its ok, I just did not expect you were in relationship with Sally.”
“But it isn’t a surprise, it is just normal. She is a lady too. Why not?” I continued.
“She is just a tea girl, Tony.” The statement came out of her contemptuously it shocked me to the core. “She is not your class Tony, I mean, you hold a Degree in Computer Science, you are a senior in our company and above all you command a lot of respect around here. How would people think to hear that you are in a relationship with an illiterate tea girl?” Irene inquired like some detective, looking at me seemingly astonished.
After a moment of silence, I firmly asked Irene, “So you now can lecture me on who to fall in love with and who not to?” 
“Tony, for God’s sake, you will embarrass yourself…” Irene said before I cut her sentence midway, “Shut up!! Am not interested with your lecture, for the record, it is none of your business who I love and who I don’t. Do me a favor, change the topic.” I felt like slapping her.
“Ok, Tony, as you say.”
The rest of the day was rather tensed between me and Irene, though we continued with our work, it was evident that it was not business as usual. The good thing was, Irene really knew how to handle tensed situations especially due to her position and characters so it was not possible for anyone coming in our office to even realize the tension between the two of us. 
Irene even went ahead and gave me some bubble gums to chew after lunch, which had some menthol mint in them. She told me she loves the menthol ones since they clear someone’s nasal passage.
“Tony, I like how you work, you are the best around here; a genius rather.” Irene complemented me after I assisted her with some work in the office.
At 4 pm, Sally called me. I picked the call.
“Good evening honey…” Sally talked jovially immediately I picked the call, as Irene lowered the volume of her laptop which had some R & B songs playing softly in the background.
To be continued>>>
As narrated by Dr. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEAVENS SMILE ON ME(Sad Short Story) CHAPTER ONE

HEAVENS SMILE ON ME (Sad Short Story) CHAPTER ONE . . When my wife gave birth to our 3rd child all hell broke loose in our ...

Prop